Saturday, February 24, 2007

I don't love Sigfried

So, Nuno and I went to the New York Public Library today for a little cultural experience. We went for the first act of a Wagner opera. Before we left, I thought that since it was only the first act that it would be a nice thing to do for the afternoon. I figured the opera would be in Italian. aren't they all? I didn't know what the opera was about, but I assumed all operas were about love. And not only that, but they were always sad love stories that ended with someone dying. Little did I know that things weren't that simple.
When we arrived, we sat in the middle of the auditorium in the middle of the row beside a guy about our age.
Then the music started. First the piano. Then three women walked on the stage and began singing in GERMAN. Yuck! A half hour later, the women exited the stage and the piano continued. I thought it was over. Then, a man and a woman entered the stage. Blah blah blahaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa in German. I have no idea what the hell is going on. And as far as the summary of the story handed out at the door, something about a ring and a man who will rule the earth and two men wanting to fight and then being friends then going to war and then I don't really know what the hell is the point.
So, forty minutes later the man and woman left the stage. The piano continued. Yes. It must be over. For sure. Oh no. I realized that behind the podium there were nine chairs. Why nine? We had only seen five.
Then three more people took the stage. More singing. Blaaaaaaah blah blah blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! After another half hour, I started to subtract the number of singers again from the number of chairs. One chair left. Damn! Wait. Maybe the chair is for the pianist! I look at the summary of the act again. That's when I realize the pianist would not be leaving his bench to sit on stage. No. There would be one more singer.
She entered the stage. I knew that when she left the stage "in dispair" that there was only one paragraph of the summary left for the singers to wail on about. After mentally sending her off the stage like ten times, I started to calculate again the amount of time each paragraph took. The summary had like five paragraphs and each one took the singers an average of forty minutes to go on and on and on and on and on, all of which I didn't understand as it was in German. So after the woman ran off the stage "in dispair" I decided I had had enough. I wanted to exit stage left too. So Nuno and I agreed to make a break for it.
I don't think operas are my thing. I will stick to musicals.

1 comment:

MM said...

Dear Jen,
Wilhelm Richard Wagner (May 22, 1813 – February 13, 1883) was an influential German composer, conductor, music theorist, and essayist, primarily known for his operas (or "music dramas" as he later came to call them).
....

Um abraço,
MMoreira