Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Shoes

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know already. Nuno writes more than me. I wish I had his life, really. LOL.
Here I am; a grown woman, a professional, an intelligent human being. And yet, I am forced to live like a bag lady. But it's not my fault.
Being born a woman, the curse that serves as a eternal reminder of Eve's sin, I am forever bound to uncomfortable clothes and shoes. As a professional, especially one who lives in fashion-obsessed New York, I am forced to wear high heels so that people take me seriously.
Because high heels are sooooooooo uncomfortable, I have to bring a bag with my running shoes. Then I must find a place where I can swap my comfortable shoes for uncomfortable shoes and vice versa. I know people are looking, but what can I do. I know I am not the only one, as I see a lot of women toting one or more plastic bags, with at least one pair of comfy shoes sticking out.
But I have a dream. I have a dream that one day women will have a choice of comfortable professional-looking shoes so that women no longer have to carry around a second set of shoes so they can walk the 10 blocks to the subway without getting blisters.
I haven't found these dream shoes yet, but I continue to search the feet of my fellow sisters to find an answer to this age-old problem. So, if you see me looking, it's just research, not a foot fetish.

No comments: