Thursday, March 1, 2007

Eu entendo

Two of my students were talking yesterday about something that I could sympathize with. They were saying that when they would go to a shop or a cafe or restaurant that sometimes they would get so nervous speaking English that their minds would go blank. Under the pressure, they would forget the simplest words. Or how when making their best effort to speak English, (and they are both fluent speakers) they would be asked, "Would you prefer to speak in Spanish?"
I told them that the same thing happened to me for the entire three years I lived in Portugal. (Not asking me if I preferred to speak in Spanish, obviously :-) )I explained that people were trying to be helpful (too helpful), but that they had to be firm in demanding that the conversation continue in English. And to not be discouraged.
I know how it is. After going to a cafe and ordering a "cafe" and being responded to in English a bazillion times, I gave up learning Portuguese. I have no willpower. What can I say?
It was nice though to talk to two people who understood how frustrating that situation is. Not too many people do.

No comments: